CHP - arms with Myer

CHP - arms with Myer

31 May 2012

Lessons from reality TV


So my cousin has got me watching a reality show that follows around a celebrity couple as they go about their day to day life. It’s not what I would typically watch or recommend, and my husband finds the main character pretty irritating. What has got me somewhat following it, is that right now the couple is going through the process of surrogacy. Their circumstances are different than ours, but it’s been interesting seeing things from the other side, watching the experiences of the couple unable to carry a child and seeing a different perspective.

One of the struggles that the intended or genetic mother was having was trusting someone else to carry her baby. I had never thought of that before, and as I did I realized what a big deal that is. She worried about the surrogate taking care of herself, drinking too much soda and eating fried chicken. Though I found some of her diet concerns humorous, I could see how it could be really difficult having to relinquish control. It’s completely entrusting somebody else with one of the most precious things you’ve got.  Though I make no promises about abstaining from fried chicken, I sure will do my darndest to take the best possible care any baby that I get blessed enough to carry for them. (There’s my mushy moment of the day)

It’s amazing how little things can get you so excited. Got a call from the coordinator of VCF, and we're getting the schedule going for July! I’ll be having ultrasounds every 2 weeks to check the uterine lining, and starting the hormones and injections. Who would’ve thought I’d ever get excited about injections?!?

On a completely different note, my husband and I decided that since we were going to be doing another pregnancy, we really wanted to try to get away and do something fun before getting started. Last night, we booked a trip to Vegas! It’s not that we can’t do things and have fun while pregnant, but obviously a trip to Vegas is a different kind of fun. The best part of the trip is that we’re going WITHOUT KIDS!!! I can't tell you how excited I am! We haven’t gone away on our own since Lily was 18 months old, and she’ll be 4 this summer! Time sure flies! I don’t think either of us remember what it’s like to sleep past 7:00 a.m. and even that is a considered a treat these days.

Can’t wait for days at the pool, restaurants, shows and slots, and the “complimentary” cocktails! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment