CHP - arms with Myer

CHP - arms with Myer

26 July 2012

Back home

Vegas was great! We had a fantastic time, and it was so nice to get away and spend time together again as a couple. I definitely feel like I got a good break before we move ahead with the plans. Here we are in Vegas, at one of the shows that we went to where they take your picture and then sell them at the end. I'm such a sucker for pictures. 






I've started having a few side effects from the medications, but what has been bothering me most are the headaches and nausea. The plane ride wasn't much fun, and I found myself actually looking in the pocket in the seat in front of me to see if they still had the barf bags. Take off, landing, and the slightest turbulence made my stomach turn and my head spin. Apart from that, I've also got cramping, bloating, and much to my dismay, weight gain - having put on about 5 lbs. since I first started the meds. (Nothing to do with the Vegas buffets, I'm sure.) I pulled out the info sheets from the pharmacist, and looked online last night, and this is all completely normal. I remind myself that it's all for the greater good when I'm tugging a bit harder to close the button on my pants :) The dose of my hormones doubles tomorrow, so I'm hoping that the side effects don't as well. In the meantime, Tylenol and Ibuprofen are my new best friends!


One nice surprise that I received when I got home, was some beautiful flowers waiting for me! On one of my phone calls home while we were gone, my mother-in-law told me that some flowers had arrived for me, but she didn't know who they were from, and asked if I would like her to open the card. Of course I said yes, as it's not everyday that I get flowers! They were from Janelle's brother, who I've never met, and along with them was the nicest card. She read it over the phone, and it touched me more than I would've expected. I'll share his words, and hope that he doesn't mind.
Kim,
About a year and a half ago, I got a call saying "the doctors haven't given up hope, but they don't expect her to make it." But she did. Now I find out someone like you is on this planet and in my sister's life. Thank you. (Carl too)
I'm not sure if it's the elevated hormone levels, but I think I would have had a good cry right then, had we not already had plans and needed to get going. I remembered that time too, getting the emails and waiting to hear about Janelle, and that everyone was going to be ok. I remember my heart breaking for her in hearing about the hysterectomy, and thinking how devastating it was; as we were planning for our own baby. All these emotions and memories stemming from this little card that came with these flowers. It took me back to that time, and I needed a minute to compose myself again before we could go. It's funny how a few words can have such an effect on you. Especially when you're least expecting it. 

In the meantime, the countdown is really on now! One week to go till everyone's here! Can't wait!





No comments:

Post a Comment