CHP - arms with Myer

CHP - arms with Myer

08 February 2013

My turn!

- by Janelle (IM)

It's my turn for some pill popping :)

Last week I had my appointment with a GP who specializes in breastfeeding to talk about inducing lactation. I was put on the lengthy regular protocol from the website I mentioned in my previous post - Baked Potatoes & Red Grapefruit.

Basically the protocol is meant to trick your body into thinking it's pregnant. This is primarily done with the birth control pill which I'll take daily (no stopping) from now until early to mid June. On top of this, four times a day I'm taking domperidone which stimulates the pituitary gland to increase production of prolactin – this is the hormone that signals breast cells to produce milk. When I stop the birth control, the milk should start coming in with the assistance of some pumping.

The pumping is the part I'm still trying to wrap my head around. When it's time to pump, the protocol is to do so every three hours for about 15 minutes per breast. The first thing that came to my mind when I fully realized this, and thought out the dates on a calendar, was that I'd have to do this at work for about 3 weeks! I don't know about you but to me this is very unappealing. Most of the office walls where I work aren't full height. Joel suggested I do it in the bathroom - uh, no thanks. The idea of sitting on a toilet in a public washroom and pumping doesn't sit right. Besides I'd have to feed in an extension cord because there are no outlets in the washroom itself.

Have no fear, this isn't going to stop me! I'll figure out some sort of an arrangement that works. Once I get over the personal/private aspect of it, my office mate and those nearby may just have to endure the sound of a breast pump a couple of times a day...this should be interesting!

For now I'm simply focused on not forgetting to take my pills. Sometimes I feel like those TV show characters who are constantly popping open their meds container and throwing back a pill for high blood pressure or pain, hehe. Check out the stash I have:













(400 doses of domperidone)

7 comments:

  1. I successfully induced lactation! feel free to contact me thru my blog if you have any questions about it. It is A LOT of hard work but it's worth it! I was able to nurse my son right after he was born and I have a deep freezer that was full of only breastmilk! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started my milk meds today! I am starting a little late but I wasn't sure if I was going to do it at all. My lactation consultant said if you have nurse before it's a good sign you can do it again. Might even be a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the way your lactation consultant thinks! I hope we both find this pursuit to be fruitful :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! So cool! I'm so impressed with all of you!!!! Such an amazing gift for these babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the determination ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janelle I actually successfully induced lactation with my first baby (family adoption). I have had several clients over the years who have induced lactation for various reasons. All have been successful. Most recently I had an intended mom (twin surrogate pregnancy) who was completely successful in inducing lactation following the same method you are using. She successfully breastfed twins! Lots of work and so very worth while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so great hearing these success stories. Thanks for sharing! At this stage I find myself wondering if the meds are working. Looking forward to the pumping stage to get some gratification...to see some milk! :)

      Delete